As soon as I knew that this design for the Freya Quilt would be a pattern, I knew I wanted to make a scrappy version. As you know, my scrap situation has been out of control and I had a bucket full of leftover binding strips and jelly roll remnants that were perfect for this quilt.
Since I tend to use darker colors to bind my quilts, this quilt ended up with quite a bit of navy, black, and dark gray and I love how the dark values play with the bright colors.
Instead of using a single background fabric, I decided to use scraps for that as well. I am really on a mission to use up scraps!
Since I have had a lot on my plate lately, this quilt was not a high priority and it took me a while to get it finished up and photographed but we finally had a sunny day this past weekend to get some photos.
For the backing fabric, I used this fantastic Carrie Bloomston Newprint fabric. It is 108" wide (yay!) and it goes with just about anything. I love how it calmed the scrappiness a bit.
The binding is a black and white stripe by Ann Kelle that I have hade in my stash for several years. I remember buying this print and thinking that it would be perfect for a scrap quilt binding. I guess I just had to wait for the right project.
If you would like to make your own version of the Freya Quilt, you can pick up a copy in the shop!